Caring for your child’s health includes planning ahead for a bright orthodontic future. And that future starts at age seven.
Believe it or not, seven years old is the recommended age that the American Association of Orthodontists suggests for booking your child’s first orthodontic appointment. Now, this check-up doesn’t necessarily mean braces are being put on right away, but it gives you an idea of what your child’s orthodontic future might be like.
Here are seven reasons to schedule that first orthodontist appointment by age seven:
- A proactive treatment plan helps to ensure teeth and jaws are properly aligned
- By age seven, your child has enough permanent teeth for an orthodontist to determine whether an orthodontic problem exists or is developing, and waiting for all permanent teeth to come in could cause additional problems later
- An early visit helps you know whether early treatment is necessary or not (most orthodontic treatment actually starts between the ages of nine and 14), helping you to create a plan with your doctor
- If early treatment is necessary, your orthodontist could help guide jaw growth, correct harmful oral habits, guide permanent teeth into a more favorable position, and improve appearance and self-esteem
- If you’re unsure if there might be future orthodontic problems, tell your orthodontist about signs such as early or late loss of baby teeth, difficulty in chewing or biting, breathing through the mouth, thumb-sucking, crowded teeth, and more
- Understanding your options early also helps you plan for the future, including the different appliances that might be used at different stages of treatments, as well as the financial requirements that might also be included
- A healthy smile includes teeth that look and feel good, and it’s important to start your child’s good oral habits early
At Sprout Pediatric Dentistry and Orthodontics, Dr. Banks wants to make sure your family is going to get the most out of your visit. Especially if your child is already a dental patient, scheduling an orthodontic appointment is easy. Everything is under one roof! This convenience also makes sure your family’s oral care is comprehensive and consistent.
Schedule an early visit with the orthodontist. A bright smiling future for your child will be achievable by putting a proactive plan in place. You can schedule an appointment at Sprout online or by calling 281-359-5551 or 281-668-8408.